Friday, July 31, 2009

The Alliance and August's Pick

So I was super slow at getting the book for May read. I just finished it and I loved it! It was an exciting read and I had a hard time putting it down. I couldn't believe it was only Gerald Lund's second novel. I am a little embarassed to admit this but I've never read "The Work and the Glory" series and this book got me excited to read more of his works. It was fun to read an action/adventure novel written by an LDS author. I love how he did things like "the Major swore and then said..." instead of including the swear word. It made me smile a little. Anyway, here's my cast picks if this ever was turned into a movie. I actually find it a little hard to believe no one has pursued this as a possible movie yet. I think it would be a great one. It was hard to sit and thing of people who would do a good job in these roles. This was the best I could come up with and the only ones I could think of. It was hard to think of someone for Cliff and a few of the other bigger characters. Here's what I picked:

Ben Affleck: Travis
This guy from Mission Impossible 2 (can't remember his name): Clayne

Christopher Walken: The Major (for some reason he always creeps me out in whatever role he's in)
Leonardo DiCaprio: Eric
Jennifer Love Hewett: Nicole What do you think? Who would you have picked?


Now for August's Pick: Austenland by Shannon Hale

Here's an excerpt from her website:

"Jane Hayes is a seemingly normal young New Yorker, but she has a secret. Her obsession with Mr. Darcy, as played by Colin Firth in the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, is ruining her love life: no real man can compare. But when a wealthy relative bequeaths her a trip to an English resort catering to Austen-crazed women, Jane’s fantasies of meeting the perfect Regency-era gentleman suddenly become realer than she ever could have imagined. Decked out in empire-waist gowns, Jane struggles to master Regency etiquette and flirts with gardeners and gentlemen—or maybe even, she suspects, with the actors who are playing them. It’s all a game, Jane knows. And yet the longer she stays, the more her insecurities seem to fall away, and the more she wonders: Is she about to kick the Austen obsession for good, or could all her dreams actually culminate in a Mr. Darcy of her own?"


You can get it used and new from Amazon starting at $2.47


If any of you have already read this let me know and I'll pick a different one.

3 comments:

Annette said...

I wish I could have found a copy of The Alliance on Amazon. I'm going to have to fork over the big bucks because I love that book and haven't read it in so long. I only remember tiny snippets of the story, but I think your character picks are good.

Austenland sounds interesting!

Annette said...

I read Austenland in a day...and now I'm going to read it again. I loved it!

Nancy said...

Now that the summer is over, I really need to get going on some reading. This looks cool. Cant wait to check it out!