Thursday, June 26, 2008

Let's Talk: The Book Thief (June)

Here is my take on this book. If you haven't finished it--DON'T READ MY REVIEW YET!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading from the perspective of death. I found it added an interesting depth to the story as you knew that death was always near. I also thought it was different how death kept telling us what was going to happen way before it did--like who was going to die and how. I didn't find the book to be overly graphic in the depiction of death or the events of that time. The war itself only served as a backdrop to a great story as it unfolded--the story of a girl who comes to love books and find comfort in words.

My favorite character was probably Rudy. I thought he was funny (because of the Jesse Owens incident) and genuine as a friend (saving Leisel from herself when she sees Max again). I could imagine a cocky boy like him being 'real.' I also liked that the author depicted Germany at the time not as a country full of absolute Nazi supporters, but a country with at least a few people who were decent. Ones willing to hid a Jew or think Hitler Youth was a waste. I cried at the end for Leisel.

I would give it 4 3/4 out of 5 stars!

1 comment:

Annette said...

I cried too! Then Ron asked me what was wrong and then I had to explain the whole 500+ pages to him! My favorite character was probably Hans Hubermann although I loved Rudy too. I thought Hans was an amazing foster father. I love how he sat with Liesel when she had nightmares and how he taught her to read in the middle of the night. I also loved how decent and kind he was. That image of Rosa sitting on the bed with the accordion is still stuck in my mind. She was such an intriguing character to me. Death was such an interesting narrator. I did wonder who Liesel wound up marrying. Max?!? I know he was quite a bit older but hey, it could work and they seemed to have a strong connection. The book he wrote for Liesel had a lot of wisdom in it. Great book!