Thursday, February 12, 2009

Marley

Thanks, Joanna, for getting the discussion rolling. I'm not a dog person either but I figured that this book would make me laugh and cry and I love books that move me in some way. My main sentiment at first when I read about Marley's destruction, particularly to the house, was, "I'd KILL that dog!" I mean seriously, I can't even imagine dog boogers all over my walls and lampshades. But then I stepped away from that and realized the endless amounts of laughter and entertainment Marley must have provided the Grogans. My favorite parts of this book - my laugh-out loud moments - were when John described kissing Marley while thinking it was his wife...and then taking him the next day to get fixed, and sledding down the hill with Marley laying on top of him. I cried when I read about Marley dragging himself from to tree after tree in his old age looking for just the right place to pee.

I was grateful that their next dog was more calm, touched by the memories Marley left behind and inspired by the things he taught his owners: live each day with "unbridled exuberance and joy," seize the moment, follow your heart, appreciate the simple things, be optimistic in the face of adversity and unwavering loyalty. Those kinds of lessons are true gifts whenever and however they come.

No comments: