Monday, April 6, 2009

Mango Street Thoughts

Thanks for the new book. I think I saw this one on another book recommendation list so I'm excited about it! On to March's book. After I got through reading it again, I'm pretty sure they should not have let junior high school students read it (or maybe I was in 9th grade). There were parts that I'm sure went over my head at that point so I'm sure it wasn't too big of a deal. Anyway, I still liked it but not as much as I had remembered liking it. There were parts that made me laugh out loud (like when they all went by on the bike and a large woman commented that they had a large load there and her friend made the same comment back to her). I also really like Cisneros' style of writing. She made everything so simple and detailed at the same time. Her writing form is truly an art form. I also did like the stories she told. It was amazing that you could learn so much from one short chapter. We recently moved to a smaller town in Utah County. I love our house but it's kind of in a more run down part of town. I almost felt the same way Esperanza felt when she was describing Mango Street and so it was nice to relate to that. Anyway, there's my thoughts. I'm curious about yours...

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I felt the same way that you did. I hardly remembered this book at all, but I cant imagine that i could have understood everything when we read it the first time. Im pretty sure the first time I just read chapters here or there, so it was nice to read the whole thing through. Reading about other peoples lives always makes me grateful for how my life is. Good pick, I can get caught up on all my reading too when the books arent very lengthy!