Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mango Thoughts

I'm almost a month late finishing this but I had hardly any time to read last month. I flew through this book this week trying to get it finished before Goodbye, Mr. Chips arrives in my mailbox, and I really think that this book is probably most beneficial when it can be enjoyed slowly. I think I'm going to start over and read one chapter a day so I can really think about how much is being said with so few words.

Like Joanna, I really enjoyed the author's writing style - so eloquent and concise. The bike part cracked me up. What I can't stop thinking about, however, is the chapter titled "Those Who Don't." It's only a paragraph long and yet it hit me hard. It said so much about how we feel about neighborhoods and cultures that are different than our own. I couldn't help but think back on my drive through inner Philly, where I was the minority and where frankly, I was a little scared. Now I wonder about each of those faces that had made me so nervous. What do their neighbors call them? What are they known for?

I was so sad when that stupid boy found Esperanza (to put it in G-rated terms) but love how the book ended.

Completely unrelated: Can you guys believe we've been doing this book club for over two years now?! I just noticed that. My, time flies!

No comments: